Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has advised the Federal Government to undo its suspension of the microblogging site, Twitter, noting that the platform has become a money-making one for Nigerian youths who eke a living through content creating and sharing on the platform, aso Naija reports.
He made this known in a statement on Saturday titled, ‘Statement by Governor Seyi Makinde Regarding the Suspension of Twitter’s Operations in Nigeria by the Federal Government’.
It had earlier reported that Twitter deleted a ‘civil war’ post by the Nigerian President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Tuesday.
Following this, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, announced the suspension of Tuesday today, citing the “persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence”.
Mobile network operators also said they received a directive from the Nigerian Communications Commission to block access to Twitter in the country following the suspension by the government.
Reacting in a statement, Seyi Makinde said, “As leaders, we should go beyond emotional reactions to issues and think about how our actions will affect the people we lead and our international ratings socially and economically.
“Twitter has become the platform for young people and indeed all Nigerians to exercise their fundamental right to express and publish an opinion. They use the platform to complain, argue and give feedback to the government and its agencies who in turn, use these to improve policies.